Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pintura

So the past few days I've been trying to catch up on my painting and finishing up my portfolio for my class, which is due Monday. I only have one class session left and then I'm done! I can't believe it! I'll finally be finished with the semester! I still have five more paintings to do before Monday evening. I may be able to get one or two more done tonight. And then I have to figure out how to fit the others in around the football game against Mexico tomorrow. I heard the US was defeated by Ghana. Oh well, I've been rooting behind Argentina anyway. It's really hard not too when you're in the country and football is the national past-time. You just can't escape it. (And I'm pretty sure they're going to win.)

I've been spending the last two days painting in Parque Sarmiento, which is right by the UNC campus. It's a huge beautiful park with a large pond, where you can rent out paddle-boats, or feed the ducks. Sometimes I go on one of the many swing sets that are all over the park, but I don't swing for long, because they're made for the average Argentine butt (which is somewhat smaller than the average American butt.)

Taylor's parents were here to visit him for the majority of the week, and they just left today. Mimi let them stay in her bedroom, and she moved a bed into the room between mine and Meghan's and slept there. They were really nice people. It was interesting translating for them and Mimi. Last night, we all went out for asado together. I've had Asado before, but this time we got grilled Provolone, kidney, and goat meat. The goat was actually pretty good. It was 'thin' but came off the bone easily. I had such a hard time finishing all of the food. When you go to asado's here in Argentina, they make sure you don't go hungry! I thought I couldn't eat anymore, but when they offered dessert, I had to get the dulce de leche crepe. It was pretty sweet. I liked it, but I think the best crepes I had were in France por supuesto.

I talked to Taylor's mom, Frida, about where I go to school, and she said she had a a few friends that went to Hollins, so she knew about it. And Taylor's dad, Richard, is really nice too. I left dinner a little early last night to meet a friend for a movie, and Richard gave me money for the cab. I hadn't even asked for it!

Also, a new student for the next semester for CC-CS arrived early. She wasn't allowed to move in yet, so she's staying at a hostel right now, and as it turns out, she's staying with Mimi! Her name is Sarah Hilton, and she's from New York. She's going to be able to move in this Friday. She's been asking about the house, Mimi, the rules, and what's around Alta Córdoba. And just in case anyone is wondering, Mimi does have enough room for her right now, but Sarah can't move in just yet because of something about the Program housing policy. Some weird technicality about coming in earlier than scheduled, I don't quite know the details.

I know I'm watching the Argentina vs. Mexico game tomorrow afternoon somewhere downtown, but I don't know where yet. And this time, I think I might try bringing my camera, to take pictures of the crazy revelry of the fans. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment