Thursday, June 24, 2010

GOOOOOLLL!!!!!!

I went with Jennifer, Brian, and Glenn to downtown Córdoba to watch the Argentina game against Greece two days ago. We went to this fast-food place called "Mega-Doner." We went there because one of Glenn's Argentine friends works there and was able to give us a discount! The restaurant had a screen and projector set up, so everyone would be able to see the game.

A few minutes into the game, I asked Brian if he thought it was ironic that we were watching the Argentina vs. Greece game in a Greek fast-food restaurant in Argentina. Brian then turned to me and said, "This isn't Greek. This is a Turkish restaurant." Which basically meant Greece was getting the shaft from the beginning. Poor Greece!

But the game was intense, and a lot of fun to watch! It was also my first time actually actively partaking in a public viewing of an Argentine game. I'm never really a football fan, but I am paying so much attention to the World Cup here. It's nearly impossible to avoid it. It's all anyone ever talks about.

Now onto the game. I don't know how many of you reading this actually watched it, but it was intense. There wasn't a single goal from either team for over an hour! Argentina was doing really well, but the Greek goalie was playing by the skin of his teeth, and playing for dear life to make sure that the ball stayed out. They came close so many times! And I'm not sure if this part was broadcast worldwide or just in Argentina, but the Greek goalie finally got hit really hard in the balls. But what the camera man did was do a close-up of the poor man on his back trying to massage out the pain. Honestly, he didn't need that broadcast to the world.

It was energizing to be part of the crowd, and sharing in the "Ooohs!" every time we thought a goal came in. But when we finally got one goal, and then another in the last fifteen minutes. Well, the restaurant went crazy! Everyone was banging on tables and screaming!

And of course, after each victory, all the fans gather between ex Plaza Velez-Sarsfield and Patio Olmos, and the Police close off the road. All four of us journeyed over there to be part of the crowd.

Now even on the way over there, I'm pretty sure there was someone constantly in my personal vicinity lighting up a celebratory spliff. There were school kids marching out with drums, banging and screaming, and people leaning out of their apartments throwing paper, and everyone who had a flag was waving it! And in case anyone was wondering, there are vuvuzelas here too. We've had our share so far this whole World Cup of having them blown directly in our ears.

I didn't take my camera to this, but that's okay, because with a crowd this crazy, it probably would've gotten stolen. Now, for the past victories, the partying in the Centro usually dies down after about an hour or so, but because this was the last game of the day, and it ended around 5:30, it kept going a little longer because no one had to go back to school or to work.

There were a few men that tried climbing the stoplights, and stood on them to cheer, and then falling and breaking them! The lights still functioned, but pieces broke off, and when one guy fell down, the lights were twisted completely around! I also saw one guy in the distance go airborne when his friends tossed him up, almost like crowd surfing. I can imagine that this whole scene will be 100 times crazier and last for 3 days if Argentina manages to win the World Cup.

And yesterday I finally found decently priced Jerseys for me and Stephen! They're not the official Jersey's, but they're well made. I asked the vendor to give me the largest one he had, so I can get it for Stephen, but compared to the Jersey I bought for myself, it's no that much bigger. Well, at least Stephen isn't going to by trying to fit huge boobs into it. The Jersey I bought for myself is Number 10 Messi, the star player. La Pulga or, the flea, as people call Messi, because he's so short and bounces around a lot.

Funny story about Messi, when he isn't playing for Argentina, he plays for the football team in Barcelona, Spain. The reason he went to Barcelona, was so that he could receive growth hormone treatment, and apparently, it was supposed to have worked. Which basically means, if he didn't take it, he would be even shorter. Poor Messi. At least he's good at football. And I finally have my Jersey to show my team spirit for Argentina. ¡VAMOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment