So I just finished my last final exam today, about 20 minutes ago! It wasn't bad, I just had to talk orally about what I learned about Argentine Literature. I also had the oral part of my grammar exam today. The teacher told me my grade wasn't very good compared to the other students, but I should pass, which means I don't have to re-take it at Hollins. w00t!
Also, the Mundial has made things a little crazy here. (AKA the World Cup, of course!) So in case you haven't noticed, Argentina won both its first two games. I tried to sleep in a little today because I didn't have to be at school until 11 am, but the game against Korea started at 8:30, and when Argentina kept making goals, I couldn't sleep anymore. I could hear my next neighbors screaming GOOOOOL! and PUTA DE MADRE! at least every 10 minutes or so. And when I left the house to catch the bus, the streets were ridiculously empty, because everyone was inside their houses watching the game. And the game ended sometime while I was on the bus, because it got re-routed. It normally goes through the centro, but it was blocked off. And I also saw tons of paper bits in the street.
The last time Argentina played and won, I left the house like an hour after the game finished, and it took forever for the bus to arrive, and it was able to go through the centro, but the streets were crowded with crazy people yelling and blowing horns, and at the centro, some people were banging their fists on the bus in celebration, and there were random drunk teenagers in the road, just sitting there, drinking, and the bus had to go around them because they wouldn't move. Football really is a way of life for them here in Argentina.
I've been meaning to buy a jersey or something, but I probably should have bought it earlier. Someone told me a good area to get knock-off jerseys from street vendors, that are actually well-made, for just 30-40 pesos. But when I went to the area that my friend suggested, all the vendors were asking for between 60-150 pesos for one jersey. I think they jacked up the prices for the Mundial. I might just buy a big flag, because that's cheaper.
I may go out somewhere tomorrow with some friends to watch the US play tomorrow morning. ¡VAMOS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment