Saturday, March 20, 2010

Classes

So my first week of classes went well. So far I have only started classes at PECLA. My integrated classes at the University don't start for awhile. I had three back-up classes at the University and Alfredo told me to try them all before settling on one. Introducción a Fotografía doesn't start until Monday, and the painting and drawing classes don't start until April. I was thinking of just sticking with drawing, but my host mother, Mimi, suggested I take photography since I'm good at it already. (She really likes my pictures of Japan.) I guess I might, especially since the other classes don't even start for awhile.

Anyway, the classes I am taking at PECLA are: Realidades Culturales, Literatura Argentina, Cultura Argentina, y Gramática Avanzada. The classes aren't all that hard. Well, at least so far. All of the classes meet at least twice a week, and we always have three day weekends. What I really like about classes here in Argentina is that we don't have to spend money on an absurd amount of textbooks like in the United States. It's true for all classes here at all Universities in Argentina. What teachers do is compile all the material they're going to use for a class, like articles, and book passages, and just put them all together in this one plastic notebook. They either just give it to you in class, or you end up buying it at one of the fotocopías on campus. Basically you go in and say you need this book for this class from this professor, give them your name, and then they print all the pages and put it together for you, and it usually doesn't cost more than 16 pesos. And that's your textbook for the class! I love it! It also saves a lot of room in my bookbag, and takes a lot of weight off of my shoulder.

Argentina doesn't really celebrate St. Patrick's day like we do, but they know what it is. The closest I got to celebrating was buying a small cheap bottle of Bailey's, and bringing it home. I went to see Percy Jackson that day since the movies were 10 pesos per person at Patio Olmos. It was dubbed in Spanish, but I was able to catch and understand the majority of the dialogue. I still had my bookbag with me, and since I didn't buy any movie snacks, I was taking a few sips of the Bailey's during the movie.

Taking the colectivo home after the movie was a bit of a fiasco. The bus' engine started making these sounds like it was straining from under pressure. Right as it entered my barrio, it stopped to let some people off, and then would not move forward anymore. The driver told everyone to get off since the bus wasn't going anywhere, but luckily, another, empty colectivo came up from right behind real quick to finish the route. Even though the problem was fixed faster than I would expect, I still got home much later than I intended.

But my lateness was forgiven that night when I presented the Bailey's to Mimi. She was ecstatic! She went into the other room, and brought out glasses with Bailey's printed on them, and she went on about how she bought the classes back in the US, and how she loves Bailey's. She tried to give some to Taylor, but he refused. Mimi went on to explain how Bailey's is the whiskey for women. We had an interesting conversation about how and why St. Patrick's day is celebrated in the US. At one point, Mimi asked why people drink in order to celebrate. Really, the only answer I have is that St. Patrick is the patron Saint of Ireland and the Irish drink.

We also somehow got on the subject of pasta, and the different names for different pasta's. So this conversation made me realize that in English we retain a lot of the original Italian names for different pasta's. I thought Spanish would keep a lot of the same too since the two languages are similar, but apparently English does a better job of it. Penne pasta is called mostachol here, and one of the corkscrew like pasta's (I forget which one) is called tirabuzón.


And this last bit of news is a bit off topic from Argentina in general, but I have to share it. I got an email last night notifying that I am being re-hired as an RA again next year at Hollins, and my assignment is . . . . OTAKU HALL! I am so freaking excited! I'm looking forward to my next year of school even more now!

I should be posting again on tomorrow. ¡Chau!

2 comments:

  1. yaaaay! otaku! :-) that's exciting. although, i am gonna be a little sad you're gonna be so far away from us next year. but i know you'll be a great ra for that hall. ^_^
    *haha drinking baliey's at the movies* <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I miss you. i wonder if the names are the same in spain. we din't eat a lot of pasta in my host family lol

    ReplyDelete