Friday, March 26, 2010

Cuarteto

Sorry it's been so long in posting. My class schedule is regular, but as far as what I do during my free time, and when I actually sleep isn't. I'll still try to be doing these posts at least once a week. Although, other than class, I haven't been doing anything different from going out late and 'partying.'

But anyway, Saturday night, I went with Jennifer and Rachel to a birthday party in downtown Córdoba. It was Romy's 24th birthday I think, and I believe she's someone speaking partner in the program. The party was fun. There were a few other students from CC-CS there, and we met a few NICE Argentine guys. We had fun listening to them swear in English. We also had choripan which is a delicious Argentine, sausage sandwich. I scarfed two down, and tried really hard not to come off as some fat, gross, American. But when I belched I got a few laughs and all the Argentines responded with ¡BIENVENIDOS!

After the party, Jennifer and I caught a late movie that started at 1:30am. We saw Los hombres que no amaban las mujeres which directly translates into: The men who don't love women, but is most widely known in the US as "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." We picked an intense movie to watch at 1:30 in the morning. There's just a lot of weird violent parts, characters with really messed up minds, and a really graphic rape scene. It was also longer than we thought it would be. By the time the movie was over, it was almost 5am.

We had an interesting experience going into the movie. The movie was listed as subtitled, so Jen and I thought we could just follow the dialogue, and then as it started, we realized the original dialogue was in Swedish, so we had to use the subtitles ourselves as well. It wasn't bad, just a little weird. We knew what was going on in the film. Although it would be a little jarring when we read the Spanish subtitles, and the Swedes, would say something that sounded very similar to English.

Also, when I got home that night, I got locked out. I had my keys, but Mimi has this habit of sometimes leaving her own keys in the lock. So when I got home, I wasn't able to stick in my own keys. It was 5:10am and I just wanted to sleep. After fighting with the lock for about 5 minutes, I ended up ringing the doorbell twice and shouting Mimi's name until she came to the door to let me in. She wasn't too pleased, and I was apologizing profusely the moment she answered the door, but she just turned around and kinds slept-walked back to bed. I really hope this doesn't happen again. Because of this, I'm starting the habit of leaving around more notes to Mimi letting her know I'll be out late in hopes she won't accidently lock the door on me again. (So far it's working.)

So Jennifer, Rachel, Sarita, and I tried dancing to cuarteto for the first time last night. That was a lot of fun. We had a few drinks at a bar, and then Rachel led us over to one of her favorite boliches, but it was empty when we arrived, so we decided to hang out down a few blocks. While the rest of the girls were having a smoke, some guy came over to talk to us, and then invited us over to the bar across the street and sit with his friends. So the bought is drinks, and we talked for awhile. They were actually nice, and not being too forceful and forward (which is kinds rare in the bar and boliche scene here in Argentina.)
Two of the guys said they were gay, but I'm pretty sure they were lying, (one of the gay guys was married and danced with Sarita later, and Sarita told me he was kissing her neck repeatedly at the boliche.) One of the guys that Jennifer and I both thought was the cutest, claimed he was bisexual, (And I am going to refer to this guy as 'German' because he was wearing a t-shirt with some random German phrase on it.)

The guys lead us to a boliche on Chacabuco afterwards, and they handed us what they thought were tickets that they took from some woman in the street. (I don't actually know where or how they got them, I was just handed one and took it.) When we got there, we found out the 'tickets' were just ads, and the men tried to argue with the bouncer. They ended up giving up the fight, and payed for us to go in. (That's right, they paid our entry fee for us!)

So basically there was one guy for each girl, and my dancing partner was 'German.' ^-^ He was fun to dance with, and tried telling me how I should move my hips to the music. He told me that the live band was called "Guardito" or something like that. He kept trying to buy me drinks and asking me what I wanted, but I knew I already had enough that night, and that if I had another full drink, I'd just be stumbling everywhere. He eventually gave up and got himself a large drink, which ended up being shared by the whole group. I don't know what it was, but at least it tasted alright. Also, just the sips I had from sharing the cup were enough.

But yeah, the guys were really nice, in that they didn't try to physically force themselves on us if we didn't want it, and there was no pressure for anything afterward. (They actually all left the boliche as a group an hour earlier before we did!)

Jennifer and I got separated from Rachel and Sarita for awhile, but at least it wasn't hecticly crowded that we couldn't easily find them later. Anyway, Jennifer and I danced with this other really cute guy, whose name was Louis. The his hair was and his face was shaped, he liked a Native American to me. (Very handsome!) But he was great to dance with too. He had this "come hither" move and face, but when we got to actually dance with him, it was just fun, simple dancing. And he and his friends ended up pulling me and Jennifer into an impromptu conga line.

We ended up leaving the boliche with Rachel and Sarita at around 4:30. Which means it was actually fun, because I usually leave these places by myself and before 4 am! Cuarteto is actually a lot of fun. I think I may have to download some songs for my ipod, and host a cuarteto party as a hall social next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment