Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I like to Rock!

Okay, so this is quite a few days late, but I needed to sleep, and classes started on Monday, so now I finally have free AWAKE time to write this.

Jennifer and I went to the Paseo de los Artes again on Saturday. I actually bought something this time. A leather coin purse and id card holder, since the blue sparkly one that Alyssa gave me as a High School graduation present is finally shot. (I had been re-gluing it repeatedly the past year and a half to hold it together.) We also stopped at the same bar we stopped at last time, but we didn't see the same cute waiter again (awe . . . )

Anyway, while Jennifer and I were chilling, sharing a lomo and drinking beer, and old man somewhere in his sixties came over and started talking to us. He asked us where we were from, and how we liked Córdoba, and then invited us to sit over at his table, so we went over and talked with him for a bit. There were other people at the table but we didn't talk to them as much. There was younger guy who i think was around the same age as us. He had a weird faux-hawk hairstyle going on with half his head bleached blond.

They asked us about where we're from and how we like it here in Córdoba, and what we're studying at UNC. They refilled our glasses with more beer for free, and the old man invited us to come over to his house sometime. He and Jennifer traded phone numbers, and after we payed fro our lomo, he followed us out the bar and hailed a taxi for us. We could've walked the whole way to the next bar we were going to as it was only 6 blocks away, but the man was insistent.

Jennifer and I met up with Mika and Sarita at a bar and ordered some drinks, and this one guy came up to us asking if we were from Germany. We also started responding where we were actually from in Spanish, but then he said he was from the US too and introduced himself as Brandon. He told us that the bartender told him we were all from Germany. I don't know why the bartender told him that, probably just likes jerking foreigners around.

But Brandon was nice. He told us he was there on a business trip and that he comes down to Córdoba every once in awhile for work, and that he and his uncles like to go dove-hunting here in Argentina. He also told us he found one of his Norwegian relatives on facebook and that this relative of his was in Córdoba and that he was going to meet him the next day.

At about 1:15 ish, we left the bart and walked all the way to this small rock-club venue along la calle Lima, to see a few bands play. We went, because Vicky Carando, the assistant director here for CC-CS is a drummer and her band was playing there that night. I had so much fun! It was just 10 pesos to get in. I don't remember any of the names of any of the bands but the music was good. I've been looking everywhere for a good indie-rock place in Córdoba like this one and I finally found it!

I saw a table with a bunch of CD's on it by the local bands. I'm not sure if they were for sale or free, but no one was around the table that looked like they were managing money, and after the show there were only 3 cd's left and I saw two random girls picking them up and putting them down. I don't know, but I plan on picking one up next time I come back.

The first band was pretty good. The local audience was little lame. They don't move like people move at shows back home. I was behind this line of teenage girls, and they kept backing up into me. They would stand and nod a little bit to the music, but me, I like to jump and wave my arms, and all that jazz.

When Vicky's band started playing, I made sure to get up to the front so that I wouldn't get stuck behind people, and knock into them. The audience in general got more active when Vicky's band played. There was one girl that actually crawled onstage twice and danced around the guitarist, and then went over to the keyboard and pretended to play before getting off the stage.
And Vicky plays the drums like it's nobody's business! It was amazing! And I don't remember how all the songs went, but I remember one song where the chorus went "Todos los días" repeatedly and everyone sang along.

I don't know when Vicky's band plays again, but I can't wait to go to another show!

1 comment:

  1. woot woot. sounds like fun :) ... though the bit about the old man sounds a tad creepy... maybe i'm just paranoid.
    <3333 you ^_^

    ReplyDelete