Saturday, March 13, 2010

Alicia en el País de Maravillas

So Jennifer and I went out to see Alice in Wonderland last night. We ended up seeing a later showing since neither of us left our houses as early as we thought we would. I got their before Jennifer, so I just went ahead and bought both our tickets before she arrived, because the ticket line was kinda long.

We had a little over an hour to kill, so we went and got ice cream at Grido on a corner down the street. It was sad, because while we were eating, there was little girl, who couldn't have been more than eight, going up to everyone who was sitting down, asking them to buy her ice cream. When everyone refused, she stood by the counter, waiting for incoming customers to buy her some. And she was by herself without any parents.

When we left the Grido, I saw big, grungy-looking woman who might have been her mom, because she was just standing on the corner, staring inside the Grido at the counter, and not moving.

When Jennifer and I decided to head in for the movie, there was some confusion. We went up these set of stairs, and when we got up to the ticketer, he told us it was en el otro lado and we didn't know what that meant, because we didn't see obvious signs as to where el otro lado was. The movie theater isn't in it's own separate building. The ticket booth is in the open airway of a shopping center, and then you just go up these separate stairs. So Jennifer and I walked up and down the hallway, wondering what the guy meant. We finally pulled over a janitor wearing the movie theater uniform and had him lead us to where we needed to go.

Apparently the other two theaters were out of the way and not even attached to the rest of the theater. We had to walk outside through this gate, into this area that was pretty much deserted, before seeing signs for the theater again. But at least we found it.

Jennifer and I made a point to see the later showings, since they were subtitled instead of dubbed. Online it said that the subtitled showings were not in 3D, but apparently that wasn't the case, but we're not complaining. The theater was packed though! We had a hard time looking for a good spot that had two seats open so we could sit next to each other. We ended up sitting in the second row in the front, because we didn't think it was worth it to crawl over 16 people to get to an open seat.

I thought the movie was really good, and even though I knew it was a Tim Burton movie, and that it wasn't exactly meant for real small children, it was still more gruesome than I thought it would be. I'd go into more detail about that, but I don't spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

There were a few times where I was able to just watch the movie and ignore the Spanish subtitles underneath, but there were a few times I made a point to read the subtitles to see how they translated a few things. Especially all the nonsense words and when they recited to poem The Jabberwocky. I wonder how hard it was for the translators to figure out how they should translate them into Spanish. So "Frabjus Day" was el día Frabjusoso and "galumphing" was galumfando. I wonder if the translators took the time to read an original Spanish translation of the book and used it to help base their translations of the script. If I was translating a movie into English that was based off of a foreign book, I'd do that, just to make it easier for those who are familiar with the book. I don't know. I think it might be in my best interest to go and find one or both of the Alice books in Spanish, and find out for myself. Speaking of which, I haven't read of them in English yet in the first place. I should do that when I get home in July.

After the movie was over, I hung around with Jennifer until she met up with some other girls to go to a boliche. But Jennifer was getting frustrated with them. Two of the girls, were the same ones that went with us to the boliche the other night, and when Jen kept calling and texting them, they kept giving her different answers as to where they were, and where she should go to meet up with them. One time they told her "just take a taxi" and hung up without telling her where she should take the taxi. It was during this time that Jennifer and I came to the conclusion that were having the same problems with hanging out with these girls.

The general problem/s being that these girls like to invite people to go out partying with them, but aren't really thinking about the people around them. It's like they invite people because they want to look cool with a posse or something, but the moment they enter a club, they drop their companions flat on their asses, and are only there for themselves. One of the girls particularly, whom I'll call 'S'. 'S' has been involved, however indirectly, for all my crappy experiences regarding bars and boliches and late nights. And I know she's not doing this to be mean. She's trying to be nice, but because she's so dim-witted and not thinking about the people around her, bad things happen. I'm not the only person she has inadvertently put in unsafe situations, and these people have the same gripes about her as I do. I've come to the conclusion that I cannot trust 'S' anymore with important stuff like this, and that she just isn't dependable. There are so many times I just want to punch some sense into her. Right now I think I'm just going to avoid situations where she makes the forward plans and she tries to make herself the main safety-net. I really think she needs a talking to about her behavior, because I don't think it's getting through her head, how her actions are affecting other people. I know that if it was just me doing it, I'd just end up losing my cool and try to beat her up. I wonder if Jennifer, and I, and maybe someone else should go to Alfredo and let him know that this is going on, and help drill it into 'S''s head that what she's doing isn't exactly safe behavior, especially for foreigners who don't know the city so well. I really think the only way she'll pay attention is if an authority figure enforces it and shows just how serious it is.

As soon as the girls showed up, I took a taxi home. The place looked a lot loss crowded than where we went the other night, but as I still wasn't in the mood to try that again . . . But it did look like a place I might enjoy, after I take my long break from boliches. I think I only can do small places with very little people, and that's okay with me.

I don't have anymore plans for this weekend, except for the phone call on Sunday. I had a hard time getting my phone cards to work these past two days. I bought two and kept pressing in the numbers, then calling Jen to see if it worked, and it still kept telling me no crédito but I finally got one of them to work this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment