So as most of you know, I'm not that much of a party person, at all, except for when it usually comes to anime, glowsticks, and DDR. That's not the kind of partying they really do here obviously, but I've been slowly trying to get myself these past few weeks to try partying like an Argentine.
So I actually haven't done the previa followed by the boliche thing yet, but I've gotten close enough.
I'm just astounded how normal it is for people to be up so late here in Argentina.
So last night I went with Jennifer Walton to the Paseo De Los Artes in Nueva Córdoba. It was like 9-ish when we arrived, I don't really remember. But It's there regularly on the weekends and I am definitely going back, because there was a lot of beautiful handcrafted items I'd love to buy! There were a lot of hand carved maté gourds and bombillas, and I saw beautiful home-made baby clothes that I was tempted to buy for Anya and her baby, but I've been told that the mail system here in Argentina isn't all that dependable, so I don't think it would have gotten to her on time.
Jen and I found a bar/cafe right by the artesan market and ordered some food. Our waiter was really cute. We kept ordering more and asking him questions just to keep him coming around more often.
The artesan Market closed up around midnight and we just walked around and wandered over to Patio Olmos where we saw a lot of teeny-boppers all dressed up going to a special under-age boliche at Patio Olmos. Jen and I were having fun poking fun at some of their outfits. While some of the young teenage girls were in some cute outfits, there were also some that looked like trash. Let's just say that if I saw my sister Katie wearing some of the outfits these 14-year-olds were wearing, I'd have to punch some sense into her repeatedly.
The stores in Patio Olmos were all closed, but the food court was still open. We walked around inside because it was raining a little. It was surprising to see whole families in there with their little kids, like 2-8 years old, eating dinner after midnight! It's just normal here, for everyone to be up that late, especially on the weekends.
Jennifer and I later got a taxi to a house party some where in my barrio. Apparently Jen's host mother told her about it, but didn't know where it was. Jen's host mother said she was going to go, but when we texted her, she said she wasn't feeling well. So basically Jen and I had an interesting time telling the taxi to take us somewhere that we didn't know and that he had to go on his walkie-talkie to get directions for.
But we did end up finding the house. Basically the party was a house party that someone was hosting that anyone could get inside, but we had to pay 5 pesos to get in. The music inside was okay. It wasn't bad, and you could dance to it, but it wasn't overwhelmingly fantastic. There were drinks in the kitchen, but the cheapest thing was beer at 13 pesos. The beer cups were huge for one person, so Jen and I split a cup. We didn't really talk to anyone, but yet again I was surprised to see kids there. There weren't a lot, but I saw like, two eight year old boys come from downstairs, go to the kitchen, dance a little, and then head back upstairs. No adults were concerned, they danced a little with them, and this was all at around 2am!
Awhile after Jen and I finished off the huge beer, we realized some people had left and that the party wasn't exactly getting anymore exciting. (Not that it was horrible.) I also found it a little nervewracking when I realized we paid money to go inside some stranger's house to drink and dance and then leave not knowing anyone there, let alone whoever lives there!
We left the party at around 3am, which, for me, is a good time to stop and go to bed.
So I may do the boliche thing sometime soon. I'd like to go to one with good music that isn't packed though. So yeah, it was fun partying, but I don't feel the need to do it every weekend.
But anyway, I gotta slow down, because this week is just full of exams, and then we all go to Buenos Aires this weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What's "previa" and "boliche"?
ReplyDeleteit all sounds exciting :) is it messing with your sleeping pattern though? or are you used it by now?
miss you V! <3