Saturday, February 6, 2010

Traveling Down . . .

6:30 Feb. 4, 2010
Atlanta airport

I’m typing this up in Word to be copied and pasted into my blog later when I have free internet access. I mean seriously Atlanta, you’re a huge airport, and Roanoke is freaking tiny. Roanoke has free wi-fi. I mean it’s the least you could do!
It’s about two hours until my flight to Santiago, Chile, and my anxiousness is like a roller coaster. The thing I’m most nervous about is switching airlines when I get to Santiago, and making it to Córdoba. I know I have to re-check in, but I don’t know if they’ll transfer the bags on the flight for me, or if I have to pick them up and re-check them as well. I’m really hoping that it doesn’t require me to go through customs and then back through, because that would be a HUGE pain in the ass. I hope it’s easy, I really hope it is.
I get worried about finding help if I need it when I land in Santiago, and if my Spanish will be good enough to seek the help I need. But then I can calm myself down a little bit when I remind myself that the airport in Santiago is an international airport, so there has to be someone there who speaks English if I get in hysterics and need help.
There’s a few people at the gate for the flight to Santiago, and most of them are speaking Spanish. I assume most of them are Chilean, since well, we’re going to Chile. I’m trying to eavesdrop on a few of their conversations just to see if I can catch everything they say and understand them. I figure it’ll help prepare me for the onslaught of complete and total Spanish that’ll drown my ears when I arrive.
They’re also two other exchange students here. There’s a blond girl who’s staying in Chile. There’s also a guy from England who’s final destination is Santiago as well.
I’m starting to wish that I had talked to Jennifer Walton more and planned my flights so that I would be flying with her, then I wouldn’t be so alone in all of this. It’s too bad I already mailed my cell-phone back home, otherwise I would be making calls home to help me figure this out.
I have no doubt that I’ll make it to Córdoba safely, but the logistics of this whole trip is making me nervous. If my boarding passes had ALL just printed out yesterday, I wouldn’t feel so on edge.
But I remind myself that at this time tomorrow, this will all be over, and I will be settling myself in my bed in Mimi’s house!


Feb. 5, 2010
Santiago Airport, Chile
9:55 am

Everything turned out fine. They transferred my bags and I didn’t have to pick them up and re-check them. Although I wasn’t expecting the $161 reciprocity fee just for entering Chile, even though I am only here for a layover.
I also had a bit of a hassle getting my boarding pass, since I didn’t have it already. The automated check-in counters wouldn’t let me check in (just like what happened in Roanoke.) but the people at ticketing were able to pull up my reservation with my passport number. (And the guy at the ticketing counter was really cute!)
I’m making my connection on time, and I can’t wait to meet Mimi! P.S. Santiago wi-fi isn’t free either.

Feb. 6th
I landed in Córdoba just fine, and Mimi was right there to meet me and Taylor. We each have our own bedrooms with our own bathrooms attached. Mimi just gave me a converter so I can charge my computer, but so far it’s only working when my computer is off. Also, while unpacking, I discovered that I forgot to bring along the cord for my camera, so I can’t upload photos. (Not until I can get another cord anyway.) I would write more about my first full day, but I’m so tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment