So today is Martes trece in Argentina. Tuesday the 13th here is bad luck, like Friday the 13th back in the United States. But I didn't have a lot of bad luck today, and no one else was freaking out about it.
Although Mimi told me her son, Juan Pablo, was born on martes 13. I can only guess what that means.
It did rain a lot today, and it's pretty cold. It wasn't bad until I had to wait for almost an hour for my bus to arrive so I could go home. I guess that means winter is coming. That's right WINTER!
Also, this past Monday was the first day we did any real painting in my UNC class. The profesora said to just paint whatever we wanted at first. I had a lot of yellow, so I figured painting the Golden Pavilion in Kyoto would be a good idea. The paint didn't spread the way I wanted it to though. She just let us loose without any instruction, so I'm really not sure what I was doing wrong. But one of the assistant professors was walking by and he told me I was doing a good job. (I'm pretty sure he meant "as a beginner" but who knows.)
After the majority of the class finished painting, I thought profe Trojer would let us loose early, but instead she said we had to paint the same picture with the same colors and composition, but with más mancha which roughly translates as "more stain." Which meant less controlled strokes, and more dotting. That left me in twist, because the majority of my original painting was already "mancha" but the profesora gave me a few suggestions on how I could change it.
The painting class isn't bad. I actually enjoy it, but I hope I get better. And the Argentine students that sit with us are really helpful. I'm going to have to buy more paints though, and a portfolio to carry my paintings and my paper around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment