Tuesday, January 19, 2010

First Post

Hola! Soy Victoria!

I'm going to be heading down to Córdoba, Argentina on Feb 4th. Well, that's when I leave the country, but I won't actually be arriving there until the 5th.

I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. Excited because I'm studying abroad and will be spending an entire semester in an awesome country (and I LOVE to travel!) It will also be my first time visiting the continent of South America, so now I can finally add that to my travel history!

But I'm also nervous for various reasons. Some reasonable, some not so reasonable.
I'm nervous about forgetting my Spanish and not being able to communicate, and not understanding my professors and not doing well in class . . . But that's the point of my studying abroad. I guess I'm also nervous about the other CC-CS students, like if they'll show off about possibly being better in Spanish, or who knows what.
I'm also just a little bit nervous about getting along with my host mother. Her name is Mimi, and from the one and only email I received from her, she's "happily divorced" and seems really excited to have me over.

I guess the last thing I'm worried about is getting kidnapped into the sex trade, or anything else similar to that. It may seem ridiculous, but it's a problem in every country. I know I can easily avoid that as long as I don't get drunk around strangers. The thing is, I go to an All-Women's University, so I'm not used to interacting with guys that much. I mean they're not that foreign. But I'm definitely not used to catcalls, and the student handbook from CC-CS basically warns all female students about machismo, and how to properly brush it off.

I'm actually not that nervous about having a male suite-mate. Heck, I grew up with a younger brother, so I'm just assuming it'll be like living with Stephen.

I'll be posting more as I prepare for my trip down to Argentina.

Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment